Former baker Laura Shoemaker comes full circle by earning online bachelor’s degree

After hanging up her apron following 14 years as a professional baker, Laura Shoemaker returned to Boise State University and launched a second career. “I decided I was ready for a change,” she said. “I wanted different working hours. I was tired of waking up early and not being on the same schedule as my family. That was the main motivation. I had always wanted to finish a four-year degree.” Shoemaker graduated with Boise State’s online Bachelor of Applied Science with a certificate in communications in May 2024.

“The program was applicable and manageable,” she said. “I was looking more at communications originally, which was also an online degree option. With the credits I already had, it was easier to do the applied science program and get a certificate. It was more about getting the bachelor’s degree finished.”

Born and raised in Boise, Shoemaker is now a communications director for a rural Idaho school district and resides in Nampa, Idaho, with her husband, Jason Sandidge. He graduated from Boise State with an online master’s degree in educational technology in December 2023.

“With the support of Boise State’s faculty and staff, I seamlessly combined credits from my previous college experience, culinary education and online courses to earn a bachelor’s degree,” she said. “The online program is great for people going back to school.

“It was perfect for, and tailored to, what I needed. That was huge. This accomplishment has opened new opportunities, emphasizing the importance of completing my degree.”

Recipe for succes

Laura Shoemaker with her family
Photo provided by Laura Shoemaker

After starting college straight out of high school, Shoemaker transferred to Boise State to earn an associate degree in culinary arts after two years.

“My mom and grandma always enjoyed baking when I was growing up,” she said. “I have a cousin who makes beautiful wedding cakes; I always looked up to her. Baking was something I wanted to do. Working in education is different.”

Several years before returning to Boise State University via the online format, she looked at enrolling in an on-campus degree program.

“Despite my desire to return and pursue a bachelor’s degree, I struggled to navigate the process without starting over,” she said. “Advisors could not even support me. However, in recent years, Boise State introduced online degree pathways that changed everything.”

Shoemaker enrolled in the online Bachelor of Applied Science in 2022. She especially enjoyed the courses in the curriculum based on emotional intelligence, like Creative Thinking.

“Those were good soft skill-type things for the workplace,” she said. “The information I learned in the program is applicable for anybody in any career. The communication classes were also super helpful. Those classes introduced me to a lot of things I wasn’t familiar with in the baking world. I wasn’t using technology in that world.”

As a student returning to school after a long absence, Shoemaker especially appreciated the support of Boise State’s faculty members throughout her second journey as a Bronco.

“The professors in the online Bachelor of Applied Science program were simply fantastic,” she said. “They meticulously structured the classes in a clear and comprehensible format.

“They were responsive and supportive every step of the way. I am immensely thankful to them for their role in helping me reach my goals. I definitely got good value out of the program.”

Shoemaker also credits her husband with helping her work toward her goal of finishing what she started back at Boise State.

“He knew that completing my degree was something I had always wanted to do, and he encouraged me to pursue my education,” she said.

“He also took the time to read through most of my papers and was an exceptional cheerleader throughout the journey. Returning to school was made possible with his unwavering support.”

Icing on the cake

Now that she has a bachelor’s degree, Shoemaker plans to remain in the communications field, but she is excited to see the opportunities on the horizon.

“I always thought working remotely and writing would be fun,” she said. “It would be great to live abroad and make money blogging. I’ll probably stay in communications for a while and see what else is out there.”

Shoemaker believes that staying self-motivated is the key to success as an online student working toward a degree.

“You have to pace yourself and make sure to keep up on assignments,” she said. “Don’t be afraid to get into it. Everybody at Boise State was very helpful, so it was definitely doable while working full-time.”

Shoemaker, who enjoys traveling, hiking, running, reading or baking in her free time, is happy she found the online program to facilitate her goals.

“As a nontraditional student, I’ve achieved a significant milestone by earning my degree,” she said. “Prioritizing my education and acquiring new skills fills me with pride. Even before completing my degree, it paved the way for me to secure a professional role aligned with my studies.

“This experience has made me more confident in both my computer proficiency and my ability to engage professionally with others. I am excited for even more opportunities ahead.”

Learn more about applied science at Boise State

Want to learn more about the online Bachelor of Applied Science? Join us for an online information session or contact a student success coach.

Contact a Student Success Coach

Attend a Live, Virtual Information Session