Shannon Easley earns MSW Online to bolster knowledge, increase career opportunities

After raising three children as a stay-at-home mom, Shannon Easley earned a college degree and launched her career.

“I have been working as a bachelor’s-level social worker in a community behavioral health clinic since I graduated in 2012. I loved doing case management and supportive counseling. However, I decided it was finally the right time to get a master’s degree so I could also provide therapy.”

Mission accomplished. Easley graduated with Boise State University’s Master of Social Work Online (MSW) in May 2024.

“I had a friend, another social worker, and a co-worker who had completed the program,” she said. My friend had a good experience with Boise State’s program. I appreciate that the program is accredited. I needed to continue working full-time, so doing an online program made sense.”

Easley, a therapist at Wasatch Behavioral Health in Utah County, Utah, made the most of the online format. She continued to work full-time while she earned an advanced degree.

“I missed the collaborative nature of in-person coursework, but I was still able to connect with peers and instructors online,” she said. “I also had a mentor, TJ Gilbert, who was fantastic. He spent a lot of time doing virtual meetings with me. He was extremely helpful and inspiring. He was instrumental in helping me not give up. I owe so much to Boise State’s mentoring program.”

The opportunity to advance her career was another motivating factor for Easley to return to higher education.

“I wanted employment flexibility and higher earning potential,” she said. “Changes with Medicaid and case management funding were impacting the services I could provide my clients. An MSW allows me to continue supporting the community I love. Providing therapy for adults and adolescents speaks to me.”

Different culture

Easley is from Orem, Utah. She got her bachelor’s degree in behavioral sciences with an emphasis in social work from Utah Valley University. She has worked for the same organization for 12 years.

“As a case manager, social worker, and ally, LGBTQIA+ individuals were frequently referred to me by coworkers or by other clients I’d worked with,” she said. “I realized there was quite a gap in our county where needs weren’t being met.”

The Evaluation and Treatment of Mental Disorders was Easley’s favorite course in the Master of Social Work Online curriculum.

“It was great,” she said. “Because I was familiar with the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual [DSM], I felt intimidated by it — it’s so massive. How the professor taught the course and his personalized support helped me gain confidence and understanding of the DSM in new ways.

Shannon Easley - Masters in Social Work Graduate
Photo provided by Shannon Easley

“The way he broke it down and made it make more sense made me feel capable of diagnosing and providing treatment. I had some fantastic professors in the program who enlightened me.”

The knowledge Easley gained as an online student, adding perspective to her real-world experience, is proving invaluable.

“Many people know they want to be a therapist,” she said. “For me, social work made sense. For others seeking an advanced degree to become a therapist, social work might not be the most direct route for them — marriage and family therapy or mental health counseling programs might be a good fit. Social work is a great big umbrella. For me, that’s where the value was.”

Idaho calling

Easley had not planned to walk in the commencement ceremony at Boise State, but she changed her mind and made it.

“It was so fun,” she said. “I’m glad I did it. It was great to meet a lot of instructors and my peers. It was a party. The emails about buying graduation regalia got me. Seeing pictures and thinking, ‘I want to wear that MSW hood,’ did it.”

During her time in the online master’s program, Easley had plenty of support from her family and friends.

“They were so proud of me,” she said. My kids are adults now, and I’m older, so the program was challenging—mainly because it was my first time taking online classes.

“My mom and my three siblings all have master’s degrees. I enjoy that my parents can now say all their kids have master’s degrees. I decided to make the grad school journey in my 50s. It’s never too late.”

Easley, who enjoys attending concerts, musicals and symphonies, is happy she returned to college and made the most of her time by earning an online degree.

“I definitely got good value from the experience and the degree,” she said. “It’s important to make sure a social work degree is what you want.

“Some people who want to become therapists and go the social work route are disappointed because it’s so broad and includes policy, advocacy and research. Read through the Social Work Code of Ethics to help you decide. If it speaks to you, you’ll know you‘ve found your jam.”

Learn more about social work at Boise State

Want to learn more about Boise State’s Master of Social Work Online? Join us for an online information session or contact a student success coach.

Contact a Student Success Coach

Attend a Live, Virtual Information Session