Spotlight on COBE MBA Candidate, Connor Sheldon, Awarded Fulbright Grant

Connor Sheldon, Boise State University alumnus (BS, health science studies, ‘14) and current Career Track MBA student, has been named a Fulbright Scholar and will serve as an English Language Teaching Assistant in Malaysia starting in January 2017.

Boise State University student, Conner Sheldon, Fulbright Scholar

The Fulbright Scholar Program provides opportunities for U.S. faculty and professionals to lecture, conduct research, and engage in professional development activities in 140 countries around the world, and Boise State University has a history of supplying the program with esteemed faculty members and students.

Fellow MBA cohort member Sean Luster interviewed Connor:

Why were you interested in becoming a Fulbright Scholar?

I first heard about the program as a senior in the Honors College (at Boise State University), and it sounded like a really great opportunity to act as an ambassador to the U.S. I already had the opportunity to act as ambassador to Boise State through my role as Buster Bronco, and the Fulbright program aligned with my strengths and provided me an opportunity to do something more.

I have found that so often I have been trapped in a “Boise bliss.” I have access to all of the best things: a blue sky, clean drinking water, and oftentimes I am not exposed to what is going on in the rest of the world. As a Fulbright Scholar, I will act as an ambassador for the U.S., as well as bring information and culture I was exposed to back to Boise, hopefully, to create some sort of catalyst for change.

You’ll be going to Malaysia on an English Teaching Assistant grant. What drew you to picking that country?

The Fulbright application process is very writing extensive. I spent hundreds of hours working on my essays, meeting with former Fulbright individuals, as well as meeting with the scholarship coordinator for Boise State, and using the writing center, which was a great resource for me. Throughout the application process, I was trying to determine where the best fit for me was because when applying to Fulbright it is imperative you find the best-fit country and program for your strengths.

I was only eligible to apply for countries that didn’t have a language requirement, so from the list of 140 countries, there were 11 of interest to me. I conducted research on each country on my list. I kept coming back to Malaysia.

One of the key components of the English Teaching Assistant (ETA) application for Malaysia was they wanted someone with extracurricular coaching experience. As a Team Idaho Cross Country and Track Program coach for the YMCA for six years, a coordinator for the Boise Towne Square Apple Store Apple Summer Camp, tutor and teaching assistant at Boise State, I felt as if my experiences were connected in such a way that made me a strong applicant for Malaysia.

Additionally, I have been focused on sustainability during my education with the Career Track MBA program. One aspect that really interests me, and connects my newfound business lens to Malaysia, pertains to access to clean drinking water. Water in Malaysia is often polluted due to pollution from industry and lack of infrastructure in the country. I plan to take away some key insights and lessons learned in that capacity to influence responsible business abroad; as well as act as an ambassador and advocate for the health of people who are impacted by consumer actions.

What are some of the things that you’ll be doing in Malaysia with the Fulbright program?

The Fulbright program operates a little differently for each country. As an ETA in Malaysia, I will be acting in a support role for the teachers.

Since receiving the award I have been delving into further research and reading some of the blogs of current Fulbrighters that are in Malaysia. A couple of blogs talked about daily interactions with students and traveling to different communities to host a language learning workshop for the weekend.  The author of one blog talked about creating an interactive way for students to engage with the English language. During the language learning workshop, Fulbrighters placed students on different teams and challenged students to create a team name, team cheer, and participate in different competitions. Through this process, language learning was dynamically incorporated into what the students were doing.

During the application process, I talked about the importance multidisciplinary learning has played in my experience. From my coaching role, I learned that students are not engaged when they are sitting. For instance, rather than talking about correct running form, it is essential to apply what students are learning to what they are doing. I plan to incorporate the lessons I learned coaching into English language learning to engage different parts of students’ brains.

What is something that you are most excited about with the Fulbright program?

I just had a conversation with the Malaysian-American Commission on Educational Exchange (MACEE) and I found out that I attend an orientation in Malaysia and be will be paired with another Fulbright Scholar in our assigned community. The thing I am most excited about is interacting with the individuals in my community on a personal level and impacting the students that are there.

What do you see as an outcome after going through the Fulbright program and coming back to the U.S.?

Upon completion of a Fulbright ETA assignment in Malaysia, I would like to use my experience to enlighten others about the topic of mutual exchange and cultural understanding. Additionally, this experience is vital to breakdown my personal biases and educate me about a different atmosphere than the U.S.

While plans can change, at this point in time, when I return to the U.S., I plan to complete my MBA and leverage my educational background and experience in Malaysia to work with a company founded on responsible business practices to improve the health outcomes of individuals impacted by the consumer industry.