How to Engage College Students With Learning Differences – Finding Common Ground – Education Week

Statistics have shown that more students with learning differences (LD) are entering college campuses, according to the National Center for Learning Disabilities. Students with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury, anxiety, and students on the autism spectrum are overcoming their fears of college and striving towards their degrees. As a higher education institution servicing a diverse population, Fayetteville State University (FSU) strives to make success a reality for all of its students. However, success isn’t easy to achieve for everyone; and its redefined everyday. FSU realizes the need to continuously diversify its offerings in order to meet the needs of its growing student body. FSU welcomes this demographic and does all that it can to provide the necessary support.

Bronco STAR is a unique program offered at FSU for students with learning differences. Bronco STAR was implemented in 2015 and has proven to be a valuable source for hundreds of students. Tamilla Green, a military veteran, credits Bronco STAR for getting her through school after having brain surgery. “I am a living testimony for what this program has done for me. I have recovered from brain surgery; and I know that this has helped me,” said Green. There are several others who express the same appreciation for the program.

Read more: How to Engage College Students With Learning Differences – Finding Common Ground – Education Week